Here at Jalup, I created a series of Anki sentence decks with the goal of getting you from zero to fluent, in as little time as possible. I didn’t go into the series with some grand master plan in mind. People asked me to make a J-E deck. So I made a J-E deck. People asked me to make a J-J deck that continues directly off of the J-E deck. So I did that. I approached it by imagining what kind of deck I would want to use, and went from there.
That continued for years. I am proud of how it turned out and the amount of people it has helped along the way. However, I’ve always wanted to turn it into something more.
What could I do? Make more decks? Expand on them? Maybe. But I want more depth. There is never going to be a magically pleasant app that is going to make you fluent 1000x faster than anything else. But there’s gotta be a way to do things better.
I thought of everything I would want in a Japanese learning application: Intuitive. Fun. Efficient. Intelligent. Customized. Gamified. Collaborative.
That’s what we are starting. Now.
Jalup NEXT takes all of the Anki decks from Japanese Level Up, and puts them in its own self contained world. It uses a new SRS (spaced repetition system) to make reviewing easier. It’s simple and straightforward. This is a big project we’re approaching, so it will be done in phases, with features in continuing development.
Phase 1 (Alpha through Early Release)
● Buy individual decks (or sets of decks) through the platform.
● Effortlessly add them to your new reviews by simplifying and separating “learning new cards” and “reviewing learned cards.”
● Grade cards without having to think how to grade them (timing automatically factored in).
● Cards connected to older cards. Rather than search older cards to solve your current card puzzle, a simple click over a forgotten word or kanji brings up that word’s original card, and other cards that work off patterns of those cards (ex. verb conjugations).
● Keep track of your daily progress, how many cards you are doing in every review session, what cards you did, and how well you did on those cards.
● Gamified: Experience points and levels for reviews, matching the Jalup level system.
● Weakness analysis: having trouble with cards that use X word or Y grammar pattern? Jalup NEXT will compile weakness reports as you review cards to target your problem areas.
● Deck Marketplace: a place to create original decks, buy and sell them, all through the platform.
● Goal-targeting scheduling: figure out what and how much you want to learn, and have the app automatically create a schedule of what you need to learn and review to accomplish that.
● Deck Recommendation analysis: by looking at what cards you have reviewed, and comparing that to new decks that are created by users in the marketplace, we can rank whether you are ready for a specific deck or not.
● Native media recommendation analysis: by looking at what cards you have reviewed, and comparing them with TV show scripts, or manga, or subtitles, we can rank whether you are ready for specific material, and an estimate of what percentage you will understand.
● Anki deck converter: For those that have used Anki decks, we’ll convert that progress into Jalup NEXT.
Unlimited Japanese media with decks attached directly to the material? Haha, who knows.
Everything from phase 2 on are ideas we would like to make happen. The order and possibility of certain features may change. I’m sure things will evolve as we work with all of you, and figure out what is best for the future of the platform.
The question is whether you would like to be an early part of Jalup NEXT.
Alpha User Recruitment
I’m looking for people who are interested in trying out and testing Jalup NEXT.
Right now, we only have Kana Conqueror, Kanji Kingdom, and Jalup Beginner on the platform. The card connection feature (where every part of a card can be clicked on to see where it came from) currently works through all of Kanji Kingdom and 25% of Jalup Beginner (but we should be finishing this feature on Beginner in a week or so). Through beta and up to release we will be adding the rest of the decks and connecting them as well.
Kana Conqueror is free. Decks are split into 100 cards, and the first 100 cards of every set (ex. Jalup Beginner) are free.
For alpha members, we are looking for someone who:
1. Has some of the early decks, and is currently working on them.
2. Was thinking about buying the early decks.
3. Wants to start over on the decks.
You need to want to work through one or more of the following:
We are charging for the decks right from Alpha, because we want to test through the payment system and organization, and we want committed users who really want to learn with them. However, we will be giving a lot of freebies to alpha members who are with us from the beginning, so expect to get a lot of stuff just for joining early on. At the very least, early members will receive the following for free:
Alpha members: Jalup Intermediate, Advanced, and Expert (as they are added to the platform)
As of right now, we have no way of transferring progress from Anki, which is why we prefer newer users. However, if you wanted to start over, or you don’t mind not having that progress, you’re welcome to join.
As an alpha user, your goal is to learn Japanese through Jalup NEXT. Go through the decks normally, adding cards, reviewing, checking your stats, etc. If you find an error, use the e-mail button to briefly explain it (and if a screenshot is needed, attach it). Your progress and work will all be saved and you will be able to continue to use it normally through beta and after the Jalup NEXT release.
If you are interested, please e-mail me at adshap (at) japaneselevelup (dot) com fore more details. If we’ve never talked before, send a brief introduction of who you are. If you have already purchased decks before, please let me know that, and include a receipt number or the e-mail address you used to make the purchase.
Alpha will be starting within a week, and invites will be sent a few users at a time (users will be chosen in order of e-mails received). If you don’t make it into Alpha, you will be added to the beta testing list.
Latest posts by Adam (see all)
- Using Audible Japan to Shadow and Immerse in Japanese - 03/23/2017
- Should I Study Vocabulary in Addition to Jalup Beginner? - 03/19/2017
- Jalup Updates – Goals, Search, Audio, and More - 03/16/2017