Japanese pronunciation: an area that probably doesn’t get too much attention from you, as luckily most native English speakers don’t have much troubles with the sounds found in the language. Some things will trip you up like つ, ふ, ら as well as extended vowels and small っ stops, but nothing you can’t handle with some time.
You are safe. Time to relax. And that’s exactly the moment where the serial killer hunts you down at the lake.
Languages are not immune to difficult pronunciation regardless of how easy that language’s pronunciation appears. Every language has its painful to pronounce words, even for its own native speakers. It kind of makes you wonder why these words came into existence the way they did if they are so hard to pronounce. Why not just add an extra reading, or change something. Japanese breaks rules all the time. They could’ve done that here as well.
But maybe you’re different?
You are smart. You are on your path to
kung fu linguistic master. Let’s see if you can handle:
11 words Japanese people struggle with.
Wait, let me change that.
11 words that Japanese newscasters (you know, the people who are paid high salaries to have beautiful pronunciation) struggle with.
I want you to say these words out loud, repeating them multiple times in a row. Don’t worry, no one behind you is watching. Unless you are at the above mentioned lake.
A little flustered
11. 老若男女 (ろうにゃくなんにょ), men and women of all ages
10. 暖かく (あたたかく): warm
9. 取りざたされる (とりざたされる): to be rumored about
8. 偽札作り (にせさつづくり) : fake currency production
Working Up A Sweat
7. 過失致死傷罪 (かしつちししょうざい) : crime of negligence resulting in injury or death
6. 六カ国協議 (ろっかこくきょうぎ): 6-Nation Talk Conference
5. 高速増殖炉 (こうそくぞうしょくろ): high speed nuclear reactor
4. 低所得者層 (ていしょとくしゃそう): low-income group
Your Tongue Is Owned
These final words contain combinations with the word 手術 (しゅじゅつ) or operation/surgery, which by itself already is an annoying word.
3. 手術中 （しゅじゅつちゅう) : in the middle of a (surgical) operation
2. 腹腔鏡手術 (ふくくうきょうしゅじゅつ): laparoscopic surgery
1. 摘出手術 (てきしゅつしゅじゅつ): extirpation
Made it through?
Give your tongue a rest. Eat some ice cream or something.
Find any of these words easy and think their difficulty is over-exaggerated? Know of any other goods ones that belong on this list?
Latest posts by Adam (see all)
- 30toWin – Thirty Days to Make & Break Habits - 12/06/2019
- Achieving Your Japanese Goals – December 2019 - 11/27/2019
- Student Teaching Student vs. Teacher Teaching Student - 11/22/2019