Things going smoothly? Want them to go smoothly from beginning to end? You don’t want a single battle story, and will settle just for a nice calm sea? Bring on the heavy waves. Bring on the storm. Bring on the Kraken. Why? Because it’s going to make you a much better sailor.
As long as the rough sea doesn’t capsize your boat and leave you to be eaten by monsters of the sea, you are going to learn a lot. Smooth sailing teaches you how to sail on smooth waters. On smooth waters, everything goes well. You probably only need one person steering the ship. You can sit back and get a tan. You don’t need to check your radar, your maps, or your crew. Okay, I know nothing about sailing, but this is how I imagine it.
When you are on smooth waters, no matter what you do, your ship is going to move forward. It won’t suddenly sink. You can’t lose. You aren’t putting in the sailing effort because it isn’t needed. Because that effort isn’t needed, you aren’t developing the ability to summon that effort at a moment’s notice. When you’ve been sailing smooth for months and you have your first major storm, you don’t know what to do.
Welcome to the Japanese storm.
I guarantee you that after every storm, you will have gained more than anything you accomplished while simply sailing without a worry in the world.
1. Brave the immersion storm, and you’ll be able to enjoy native media from now on. You’ll know what you can watch, how you can enjoy it, and how big a deal it means to you.
2. Brave the J-J storm, and you’ll acquire a better grasp of the way the Japanese language flows, how to use a J-J dictionary, and how you truly are understanding what Japanese means in Japanese.
3. Brave the English-subtitle-removing-storm, and you’ll never have to use an interfering handicap again, as you watch Japanese material as it was meant to be watched.
You will have many storms ahead. Don’t try to avoid them to find clearer waters. Running away from the inevitable is not going to save you. Let every language storm force you to become better.
Latest posts by Adam (see all)
- Free Japanese Novels that are Really Good Reads - 01/14/2019
- Overcoming the Many Good Things – One Bad Thing Ratio - 01/12/2019
- Japanese Learners – Which RPG Class do you Belong to? - 01/06/2019