Aug. 22, 2019
Thank you to everyone who participated in this survey, and offered to aid in this fundraiser. It really means a lot to me knowing the support I have from all of you awesome people out there.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like there is anywhere near enough support to go through with it. It saddens me to say that I won’t be moving forward with the actual fundraiser.
I’m not sure if I will do individual pre-orders again like in the past, but that is a future decision to make. For now, new card-linking (Master & Champion), new audio, and any new decks after champion are all put on indefinite hold.
I’ve gotten various interest over time for continuing the Jalup series to 10,000 cards, including full native audio and Jalup App card linking for every card. To do this would be a truly massive undertaking, which could take up to a year, and requires more than just myself for total completion.
As it is, the following would be left to complete:
- Jalup Master (1000 mp3s, 1000 Card Links)
- Jalup Champion (1000 mp3s, 1000 Card Links)
- Jalup Legend (1000 new cards, 1000 mp3s, 1000 Card Links)
- Jalup Emperor (1000 new cards, 1000 mp3s, 1000 Card Links)
- Jalup Final (1000 new cards, 1000 mp3s, 1000 Card Links)
I’m a bit overwhelmed as it is, and even just Jalup Master card linking has kind of been put on the backburner. I’ve talked a bit about how I create here at Jalup in the Jalup Champion, and the “How a Jalup deck is made” post, so you know the insane amount of time it takes to build everything here.
With that being said, I’m not against the idea of going all the way. It’s just that I know Jalup is a pretty niche site, and don’t see realistically raising enough money to complete everything above.
However, I figured rather than keep it as a pending issue, a what-if in the back of my mind, I thought I would at least take a survey to see what kind of interest really does exist. Through the following survey, you can leave your interest, the amount you’d contribute to a fundraiser like this, and any comments you have.
The Survey (N/A)
To try to make this more accurate, I’m going to assume only 80% of the amount totaled in this survey would actually be received in a real fundraiser (it’s much easier to say yes in a survey than to actually commit to it). And I’m going to set the survey for about a week or so, as most fundraiser results are pretty obvious after this time frame.
Depending on these adjusted results, I can see exactly what is possible and what is not, and whether I would actually want to go through with a real fundraiser. If not, at least it finally gives me an answer.
This doesn’t necessarily mean that no fundraiser means no continuation. Or that there will never be new audio or the current card links won’t be finished. It just means without the fundraiser, it will be a very slow process over time.
Anyway, I appreciate everyone reading this, and to everyone who participates in the survey, my deepest thanks!
- If this actually ever did come to fruition, parts would be released as completed. So you of course wouldn’t wait a year for everything all at once. You’d get each 250 card stage, each audio file group, etc. as finished.
- I’d probably have some kind of reward system for those who pledged higher amounts, but don’t have any idea yet what that might be.
- Why pledge if you already have Jalup Maximum on the app and get everything new for free anyway? Because whether that Maximum grows to 10k cards with full audio and card linking depends on this fundraiser.
- I’m not sure if I’d do this on a 3rd party website like Kickstarter or Indiegogo, or just directly on Jalup like I’ve done with past pre-orders. Either way it would be all or nothing (with everything refunded if the target amount wasn’t raised).
Latest posts by Adam (see all)
- Jalup App – Kanji Assist - 08/20/2019
- Why Studying with an SRS App is Overpowered #2: Randomness Breeds Creativity - 08/13/2019
- (Update) Jalup to 10k? – Interest Survey - 08/10/2019