Updating Anki Decks Without Losing your Progress — 7 Comments

  1. Thanks so much Adam! I’m up to date with the ultimate versions now. I copied the new card HTML and styles in too, and I couldn’t be happier with the results. The audio is fantastic, and it looks perfect on my phone. :)

    The ultimate versions have different fields than as described in your guide, but this was no problem. I made a small mistake with column order but Anki will undo an import with Cmd-Z, so it was easy to recover.

    • I’m glad it all worked without a problem :)

      And yes you are right, this guide is done with a regular version of the Jalup decks, not an Ultimate version. As you found out, there are some slightly different fields, but this guide will still work for it the same.

      I hope the updates power up your studying!

  2. So, based on what’s said in this article, it’s a good idea to just wait until all 2000 audio files are done before doing this update to Anki so I only have to do it once? Or better yet, maybe I should wait for the Ultimate version? Unless the Ultimate version can’t be updated with my review information?

    • Well, the 2nd time around you can probably do this process much quicker. What takes so long the first time is familiarizing yourself with how to do it all.

      The ultimate version can be updated with your review information, so that’s not a problem.

      However, the ultimate version wouldn’t be released unless all 2,000 cards of expert are finished on Jalup NEXT.

  3. Thanks for the thorough explanation! I had merged all my sentences decks (Jalup Beginner, Jalup Intermediate, own sentences) into one deck so I had to make a couple changes to get this to work.

    I ran into two problems: how to update the exported spreadsheet when it had multiple decks, and accidentally changing/deleting content from cards I didn’t want to because they had the same card type as the cards I was modifying. (Glad I had a backup!)


    To fix everything being in one deck: pull the cards you’re trying to change into their own deck. Because my cards had tags of what deck they came from (in my case, ‘jalup-intermediate’), I could easily find only the Jalup Intermediate cards.

    Modified Step 10:

    Export to new deck:
    * In browse, filter by tag (Filter > Tags > ‘jalup-intermediate’)
    * Select all (ctrl+a)
    * Right click > change deck
    * Add deck (I called mine ‘jalup intermediate update’)
    * Select new deck, Move Cards

    Then export the deck you just created and continue.

    At the end, once the deck is updated, move the cards back into the original deck the same way (Filter by deck or tag, select all, right click, change deck)


    To fix accidentally deleting info from other cards of the same type: create a new card type for just the cards you’re modifying.

    Modified Step 3:

    Create a new card type and switch all the cards you’re editing to that new card type.

    Tools > Manage Note Types > Add > Select “Japanese (recognition)” (or whatever note type the cards currently are) > Name something new (eg jalup-intermediate-update)

    Select all the cards (possibly using the filtering described above), right click, Change Note Type, and select the note type you just created. Confirm the fields are mapped to the correct new field.

    Make the changes in Steps 3, 4, 5 to this note type. In step 20 (importing), the type should be the new type you created. In Step 24, when deleting “Expression OLD”, if the number of notes it says it’s deleting from isn’t the same as the number you updated STOP! You should go back to the beginning and create a new note type.

    At the end once the deck is updated, you can leave the cards as the new note type, or merge them with an existing identical note type (I left them as the new note type).


    Hopefully that helps someone else!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

HTML tags allowed in your comment: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>