It’s been almost 2 weeks since the start of user testing, and a lot has been happening. I’m truly proud of what we are accomplishing. Of course I would say that, but the further we’ve come, the more confidently I can say this: Jalup NEXT is going to blow your Japanese learning mind. So much, that I felt the urge to create a teaser promotion video.
For those of you that haven’t been keeping up, Jalup NEXT is our new project here that takes and transforms the Jalup Anki decks into a powerful new application. The possibilities that await are endless. And those possibilities begin… now.
We are releasing Jalup NEXT as of this post.
The leap from Testing to Release
We accomplished way more than we thought we would in alpha. We never planned on going through a long testing phase, as we intended to keep things simple, and grow from there. The purpose of alpha was always to just have an extended period to expand on the decks. But we came to the conclusion that we’d rather release the decks the way we’ve done on Jalup in the past: one at a time.
Currently you can use Kana Conqueror, Kanji Kingdom, Jalup Beginner, and part of Jalup Intermediate. This should be more than enough for now. Over the next several weeks, in addition to new features, we will be slowly releasing the rest of the decks.
We are going the self-funded route here. The more we expand on the app, the more time/money required. So having a lot of users supporting the app through sales revenue is important for it to have a chance to succeed.
While small new bugs will surely pop up (as we continue to add new features and improve old ones), we will be on high alert to fix them. If you discover anything (whether part of the program itself, or something in a deck), use the contact button to let us know. If you have a suggestion or feature idea, we are all ears.
What did we accomplish in Alpha?
- Bugs be gone – we’ve cleared away most of the problems that were discovered through the great and detailed feedback from our awesome Alpha users.
- Full control over how the audio plays (automatically when you learn? automatically when you review? You choose)
- Easily review individual decks or combine deck reviews, without any need for options, merging, or separations.
- Easy keyboard shortcuts for everything (right, wrong, audio)
- Easy notification of how far cards are pushed into the future when you mark them right or wrong.
- Positive reinforcement messages for adding or reviewing multiple cards in a row, with XP bonuses for both.
- Ability to hide how long till your next reviews are due.
- Ability to “freeze” cards as you are learning a deck or reviewing. All your frozen cards go to a special place, where you can keep them on ice, or thaw them adding them back in.
- See more details here.
- Add and connect Jalup Intermediate/Advanced
You don’t know how great the card linking feature is till you try it. It has taken us a painfully long amount of time to connect all the cards, but you will soon see how this is a true game changer.
- New feature: Comparative Deck User Stats
Average stage/deck completion time, stage/deck difficulty, and difficulty of specific cards all based on user card data.
- New feature: Adventures
- Join pre-made adventures (goals) with set time limits (ex. finish Jalup Beginner in 3 months).
- Receive daily quests based on your current joined adventure (ex. learn X new cards, review Y cards a day).
- Finishing adventures award you with experience points and levels.
- Defeat the final boss (test) covering the material from that adventure.
- Receive badges on your profile to show your victories.
Spread the word and show your support
Join. Tell other people to join. If Japanese Level Up has provided any value to you over the past 6 years, I humbly ask you for your support here. We want Jalup NEXT to have the best chance of success possible, and without the help of all of you guys, this won’t be possible. If you want this app to do everything you’ve only dreamed of in the past, spread the word. Let’s make this an unstoppable juggernaut.
We also have created a Patreon account, which allows you to pledge a small monthly amount in order to assist us in achieving our future goals even faster than before. Through our Patreon page, you’ll get access to our activity feed, see how we are continually developing things, and can comment/discuss with us the future of Jalup NEXT.
Latest posts by Adam (see all)
- You just Utterly Failed your First Japanese Conversation - 04/23/2017
- Should you do Multiple Japanese Decks Simultaneously? - 04/19/2017
- 5 Current Japanese Podcasts I Love Listening To - 04/15/2017