Jalup is always expanding and changing fast. Check here for important updates about what is going on.
Jalup Android 1.0.2 released: Added in two new audio settings: auto-play for learn and auto-play for review.
Jalup Android 1.0.1 released, fixing repeated tap issue, and adding in setting to adjust your review intervals.
There was an issue with comments on the Japanese Level Up blog today. If any of your recent comments seem to be affected, or if there is any strange comment behavior, let me know!
New landing page for Japanese Level Up to hopefully explain Jalup a little better to people unfamiliar with it. The blog and all of its posts will continue to run the same. But you’ll need to update your bookmarks to https://japaneselevelup.com/blog.
- The Jalup App is now available for Android, live on Google Play!
- Jalup iOS v1.1.7 has been released. This has some minor improvements, and fixes some of the card linking issues reported by users.
Jalup Holiday Sale Starting Now!
Level Packages: $99.99
Maximum Package: $249.99
Across all Platforms (Anki, Jalup App Android/iOS, and Jalup NEXT)
*The Jalup App for Android will be finishing up beta shortly and will be available at the above introductory prices upon release.
*The price display numbers will change on iOS Jalup v1.1.7 (which should be available as an update shortly)
If you’ve seen the most recent post, you know that I’m very excited to announce the Jalup Android version beta testing starting.
Another piece of good news. You can now fully transfer your progress from Jalup NEXT to the Jalup Mobile app, on either Android or iPhone.
In order to do this, you’ll need to e-mail me a request, and provide me the e-mail of your Jalup NEXT account. I’ll send you a .csv file of your Jalup NEXT data. Then you just need to follow a few simple instructions which I provide, and you’ll be able to upload it directly into the app!
Big things are coming soon. If you have been wondering about the lack of updates, I’ve been very busy doing Jalup stuff :)
1.1.6 update release fixing the critical bug discussed below. Please update to this. Thanks to Apple for the super fast response time!
Also I’ve been made aware of the typo on card JB11, where in the definition the word すみません is replaced with おはよう. I think because it’s such a simple card that most people didn’t bother saying anything. It will be updated in the next version!
There is currently a crash issue that is caused by the Jalup App 1.1.5 update. If you haven’t updated yet to 1.1.5, don’t, and please wait for version 1.1.6. For all current users who have already updated to 1.1.5:
You will experience this bug if you have finished any deck (ex. 232 kc cards or 1000 JB cards), and have never set a goal for these decks. I am very sorry for not spotting this issue on the last update.
I’ve already implemented the fix, and uploaded it to the App Store through v 1.1.6. However, it can take a few days for the App Store to approve an update.
There is a temporary way to fix this in your 1.1.5 version. Please perform the following steps:
1. Export a backup of your deck (do not forget to do this)
2. Open up the .csv file in Google Spreadsheets as an editable spreadsheet. You may be able to do this with Excel as well, but Google Spreadsheets works the best.
3. For every deck you have completed, you are going to need to go to the final row, and change column L from review to learn
Ex. 1: If you finished kana conqueror, go to the row where column B shows 7232. Then go to column L in that row and change the word review to learn
Ex. 2: If you finished Jalup Beginner, go to the row where column B shows 1000. Then go to column L in that row and change the word review to learn
You need to do this for every deck that is complete
4. Export this spreadsheet as a .csv file
5. From inside the app, go to Backup > Import > Select this .csv you just exported.
Note: for those of you who tried deleting the app and reinstalling it and get the error “Error: Your backup must match your current owned deck count…” You must first restore all the purchases you have before importing the .csv. So if you have had Jalup Maximum, you must first restore Jalup Maximum, then import. If you had KC and JB, you must restore each of those individually and then import.
You will only need to restore these purchases if you tried to fix the issue by deleting the app and reinstalling.
6. Assuming you followed everything above, you will be able to tap Learn or Listen, which was crashing for you before. The decks that you have finished will show 1 card left to do (since you edited them).
If you can hold off on that one card until 1.1.6 is available, then you don’t need to do anything else. Just make sure not to learn the final card or the bug will return.
If you really want to proceed through that one card, you need to swipe left to set a goal on that deck. Set any date. Return back to learn. Then learn the final card. The goal will be completed, and the card will be back in your reviews. You’ll need to do this set goal/complete final card for each deck that has one card remaining. Once 1.1.6 is out, you won’t need to do this.
Again, I apologize for missing this issue. If you have any problem with the above steps or something still isn’t working right, please e-mail me.
Jalup App 1.1.5 released
Fixed an issue where setting a goal and then finishing the deck where the goal was set caused the app to crash when trying to enter Learn or Listening mode.
Jalup App 1.1.4 released
– Click on cards from a search to hear their audio
– New Kanji Kingdom Customization – You can now simplify what the front of a Kanji Kingdom Card displays (Choose between standard, J/E Keywords only, E-Keyword only, or J-Keyword only)
Jalup App 1.1.3 released
– Learning Goal Feature: Set a deck completion date (swipe left on a deck in Learn), and be given the amount of daily cards you need to do accomplish that goal. **Please note: after installing this update, it will take 24 hours for the goal to display an accurate daily count.**
– Add explanation message to Stories and Situations
– Add warning about Siri requirement for using Speaking Missions
– Other minor improvements
Jalup App 1.1.2 released!
– New Search Feature! Search through all your owned or learned cards, or through specific decks, and have your results displayed in an easy way to compare how a word is used in different sentences.
– Add help message in Jalup store, which explains what to do if a download didn’t work.
– During reviews, removed the alert that told you when you finished reviewing your cards and now are going to go back to the cards you marked with an X. This got in the way more often than not, and was more annoying than helpful. Once you finish all your base reviews, your marked wrong cards will just be displayed.
– Minor xp boosts for various actions within app.
– Gave review monsters a little movement
Jalup App 1.1.1 released. This is a minor improvements update. The next update is going to add a major new function, and something really exciting to look forward to :)
– Resetting a deck now resets the tutorial, so you can repeat a tutorial.
– Listening to Cards in Media Player now very slightly increase their ease (since it acts as a sort of review)
– SRS interval timings tweaked to be less harsh
Jalup App 1.0.9 released. Stories and Situations now included within the app!
I created some new visuals to explain how the Jalup learning system works, because sometimes it isn’t the easiest thing to figure out what is going on with the method. This can be seen on the About page and the Store page now.
Jalup App 1.0.9 is about 80% finished. And with it will come Jalup Beginner Stories, Jalup Beginner Situations, Jalup Intermediate Stories, and Jalup Intermediate Situations. There will be plenty of samples for free users, and all of it will be included if you buy (or already bought) Jalup Beginner or Intermediate.
Jalup 1.0.8 Released!
– Learn & Review Card Peeking Function (Swipe back and forward between cards as you are learning or reviewing them. (Useful for when you make mistakes, when you want to connect cards, see what’s coming, or see what you’ve done)
– Individual Deck Resets Added (Now can reset any deck of your choice – for example if you don’t want to get reviews from it anymore or if you want to begin it over again)
– When you finish all the original reviews of a session, a message will let you know that you are now reviewing cards you just marked with an X
– Some design tweaks on tutorials
Jalup 1.0.7 Released – Critical bug fix for Jalup App.
An issue was causing the app to crash when some people tried to export their progress on an iPad. Everything should all be good to go.
Jalup 1.0.6 Released.
This is a minor update, with a lot of small improvements that will help things run faster in the future. I also fixed some coloring issues, a few small lingering bugs, and fixed the giant tutorial images stretching on the iPad version.
Jalup 1.0.5 Released!
Check out the details in this explanation post.
Jalup 1.0.5 is just right around the corner and it will introduce some new features I’m proud of: User Stats, Daily Roundup, and Review Monster.
Jalup Expert is currently in the works for both the Jalup App and Jalup NEXT. As I mentioned before, linking it is a painfully slow process, but it is in development now!
Jalup 1.0.4 released! With it comes Jalup Intermediate, Jalup Advanced, and the Jalup Maximum package.
The Jalup Store and the way all the products across the 3 platforms has gotten too bloated and confusing, so some major changes have been made. Both pricing and product line have been reformed.
1. Individual Anki stages (in groups of 250) have been completely removed. The only purchase option is now for a full level, which includes 1,000 cards. If you were in the middle of buying individual stages (ex. you bought stages 1 and 2 of Jalup Beginner and need to buy the remaining 2), you will be able to purchase the remaining stages individually. Please send me an e-mail and I will provide you the remaining links.
2. Anki level packages no longer includes all of the bonus items (Situations, Stories, etc.)
3. Anki level packages have all been dropped down significantly in price to $99.99. This is to account for the bonus items being removed, the individual stage option removed, and the fact that Anki requires the least maintenance cost for me.
4. Jalup Expert has been split in half. The first half (1,000 cards) will continue to be called Expert. The second half (1,000 cards) has been renamed Jalup Hero. The split of these 2 is reflected in the pricing. The content has not been changed at all.
5. Jalup Immersion (stages 1-5) has been renamed Jalup Master, as it is a direct continuation off of Jalup Expert/Hero, and has confused people with its name. The content remains the same.
6. Jalup Maximum still remains exactly the same, and includes everything at the same price.
Jalup Expert is currently in development for the Jalup App. This will take longer than Intermediate and Advanced took, but it is coming. This will be followed by Jalup Hero, Jalup Master, etc.
1. As Expert is being developed for Jalup App, it will also be developed for Jalup NEXT. So both will be released at the same time.
2. Jalup Next prices have been increased. This is to account for the rising costs of maintaining Jalup NEXT, and it being the most expensive of the 3 platforms to continue with.
As always, thanks for the continued support!
Jalup Intermediate, Jalup Advanced and the Maximum package will be included in the Jalup App on the next update (v1.0.4). It’s coming much sooner than you expect!
Jalup 1.0.3 released!
– Test your speaking ability with Speaking Missions!
– Level icon picture now changes every 2 or 3 levels (and “evolves” as you get higher level)
– Increase experience points per card based on how many times that card was marked correct
– Increase experience points earned for new card learns
– Removed “Level Rank,” because it doesn’t accurately represent the user’s real level.
– Total icon overhaul
– Hide back button to prevent confusion on returning from card links
Speaking Missions is taking a little bit longer than expected, but 1.0.3 is coming soon. In addition to this giant new feature, a lot of other small really cool things will be coming with it.
Jalup app 1.0.3 is going to introduce a really cool new feature called Speaking Missions. It’s going to be a way to interactively practice your speaking ability from what you’ve learned from the decks.
This is a big update that I’ve been working on, and I think will be very exciting when released :)
Jalup app 1.0.2 released:
– Kanji Kingdom – the 2300 cards that will help you master the kanji – has now been released.
– Combined Decks Reviews – Kana Conqueror now shows images
– Kana Conqueror images have been shrunken a bit to make better use of screen space
Jalup app 1.0.1 released:
– Vacation Mode
– Card Accuracy Check
– Card Stats & Rankings
– Explanations added to confusing areas
– Gain experience points for listening
– Experience points restored with import
Jalup mobile app released for iOS! What is the Jalup App?
Jalup mobile announced – beta testing started